View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 06:24 AM   #28
blue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silber View Post
Thanks for the great explanation on lean versus rich in these cars. Very helpful!

I have pulled off the exhaust manifold and the intake manifold and I can look down in the ports and see that both of the intake valves are broken off and one of the exhaust valves is broken off. I found bent pieces of intake valve stem in the intake, but looking in the exhaust port the exhaust valve stem is in perfect shape other than missing the head.

Whatever happened it was isolated the cylinder number two, I don’t see any of the same problems on 1 or 3 leading me to believe it it was not a valve train issue.

The intake gasket looked relatively normal, but looking at the head it doesn’t look like it was sealing properly. Thus my theory that the intake was warped. I’ll post a picture of the gasket later.

Silber
From what I see in your picture in post #15 and what your describing here. (valves broken off). There was a mechanical issue. Broken wrist pin, broken rod, valve spring or lifter issue. will be interesting to see what you find with further disassembly.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote