View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 02:10 AM   #4
edevlin

Lightweight Flywheels

"Why do you need a lightened Flywheel? You bettin' on timeslips at the local Drag Strip or something? OK, so you may be able to get to 60 MPH in .009 sec. faster, so what? Use the standard Flywheel, it's what the car was designed to use."

Thanks for the input Jim, you are right, I dont need a lightweight flywheel, but I though if I was going to open up the trany to put in a new clutch anyway, why not put in a lightwieght flywheel to make the car more responsive, something I would like. What I dont know that much about are the potential liabilities about the lightweight flywheels for my 2000 2.7L Boxster.

For example I have heard mixed comments about added vibration or possible damage to the transmission when using a lightweight flywheel with a stock clutch. Does anyone know about noise, vibration or damage issues with the Aasco lightweight flywheel?

Here is what the literature says about the Asaco unit:

Can you believe that an OEM flywheel weighs almost 30 lbs! That's 30 lbs. of mass to spin around inside the engine. Think of the energy wasted on getting that hunk of metal to spin up as you press on the gas! Reduce that weight with a lightweight flywheel. The Aasco lightweight flywheel weighs less than 14 lbs. That's over 15 lbs. of weight savings!

Lightweight flywheels are a great way to add performance to your Boxster. They are designed to reduce as much weight as possible but not sacrifice any drivability. If your Boxster needs a clutch, you are already inside the engine and a change to a lightweight flywheel is simply the cost of the part.

-Lightweight 6061-T6 billet aluminum (only 13 lbs!)

-CNC machined to .001"

-Wear-resistant, replaceable treated alloy steel friction inserts

-Stepped Dowel Pins

-Torque plates included in applications where required

-Works with both stock or aftermarket clutches

-The broadest range of applications available

-High quality polished finish

Aasco's aluminum flywheels have some key advantages over stock and other aftermarket units. Machining tolerances are extremely important when making a flywheel. Eccentricity, parallelism, and the step height (which is critical to proper clutch break-in and engagement) are kept to within .0015”, the most accurate in the industry! Dowel pins are hardened steel units and all hardware is grade 8 (grade 10.9 metric equivalent), the highest grade of fastener available today. Torque plates are also included in applications where required and flywheels are checked for zero-balance before shipping. "

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote