View Single Post
Old 08-18-2021, 12:52 PM   #1
wwjd

let's play "The MYSTERY SQUEAK GAME"!!!

let's play "The MYSTERY SQUEAK GAME"!!!

For anyone that wants to be a contestant, offering answers or thoughts are FREE!!!

The setup:
2002 base Boxster, just got 50k serpentine belt
NEW rotors and pads all around
New tires
New shocks

The MYSTERY SQUEAK!!! while moving
- sounds like a very mad squirrel (or maybe metal scraping would be more logical)
- only from rear right tire area
- ONLY starts and continues above about 27-30 mph, stops when below
- doesn't SEEM to change or get much faster above those speeds, maybe just a little faster gradually, but not obviously faster keeping pace with wheel spin rate
- Engine being off, hard or soft breaking, and emergency brake have NO EFFECT on the noise
- cool morning start or warmed up hot day have NO NOTICEABLE EFFECT on the noise
- is SLIGHTLY affected during lane changes or slalom, like the pitch or something, just slightly
- everything FEELS and drives fine

Bonus Round info:
- took to the shop and they heard but could not discern what it was, but everything is solid and safe to drive, they said. (I'll drop off there in a few weeks when I have time)
They thought it needed the car weight on it to happen, didn't do it up on the rack.

For those willing to play, there is no time limit, and questions are unlimited!!

One thing I considered - and I am FAR from mechanic brained at all - is remounting the tire on the 5 screw thingys, at a different rotation, and maybe some nuts were tightened down too much warping the rotor? I don't know things.

Any experiences or ideas appreciated. Thanks!