View Single Post
Old 08-11-2021, 10:56 AM   #1
RedTele58

Stereo/speaker experts - help me out please

A question for you audio guys...

Background: I'm changing/upgrading some interior pieces in one of my project cars. I'm upgrading the standard black trim to Metropol Blue wherever I can. The car has the factory CDR-220 and HAES dash and door speakers. I recently purchased (but have not yet installed) the rear speaker kit that installs in the rear storage box (Pioneer 3.5" 60W max 2-way speakers).

I was able to find a set of Bose dash speakers w/ blue covers. I popped the old HAES speakers out and the new Bose speakers in. My only goal was a color swap to the grills from black to blue, so I've done what I set out to do.

Now, I "think" I can hear a (slightly) better quality sound, but my 63 year old ears have been subject to jet engines and artillery fire for the past 36 years, so it could just be a placebo effect on my part.

I've now found a set of Bose door speakers.

So - my question with some caveats - I have zero desire to change out my factory CDR-220 radio, nor do I want to touch the existing factory amp or root around eBay for a bunch more Bose components to have a true Bose system.

Am I really getting a "better" quality sound out of just the Bose dash speakers with nothing else changed to the sound system?

Will I get any more "better" sound by replacing the HAES door speakers and installing the Bose door speakers?

By installing the rear speaker kit will I override/negate any of the potential upgrade in sound from the Bose door speakers?

The dash speaker swap was simple - two screws out, disconnect the HAES, connect the Bose, install the screws. Done. What's detailed in swapping the HAES door speakers w/ the Bose? Is it as simple a swap as the dash speakers, or will I be dealing with different sized units and mounting points?

I know there is more to the Bose system than just the speakers, but I've accomplished all I really wanted to do - blue dash speaker grills vs black. If there is an improvement in sound by installing the Bose door speakers, I'll do it, since I have to remove the door cards anyway. But if I have to monkey around with anything more than plug/play and I'm not improving the sound, I'll save my time and money for other things. And remember, I'll have the rear speaker kit in the mix as well.

So - TL/DR - will I get any amount of noticeable sound quality by replacing my HAES door speakers with BOSE speakers?

Thanks for your inputs!