View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 11:18 AM   #13
z12358

The Box is insured together with another car through Geico. No loans. I don't need either for commuting (both listed as leisure cars) and this year I put 4k miles on the Box since May driving only on weekends, so I can assume 5k a year as a good estimate. The Geico deal is good (big discount) because both are insured with them. I guess I can talk to them and see if they'll offer anything for a storage scenario.

PL, I'll try Leland West. I thought that was only for classic cars. Regarding paying so much for insurance... It doesn't only cover damage to your Box. Don't overlook the liability part -- the damage you can do to others in an accident. But I agree, at some point, when a car depreciates significantly, it may not make sense to carry coverage for the car itself anymore. I stopped that on my other car years ago. If anything happens to it I'll just pay out of pocket. But you still must carry the liability part -- very important, as damaged parties can go after your assets if you're not protected enough.

So does anybody cancel insurance during storage, and if so, what's the approx value of the car? Not much to worry about liability coverage in a storage scenario, I guess. I could just cancel the Box part of the two-car policy, but I lose any coverage for it in case some crap happens to the car while stored (fire, theft, etc.), and I'll lose the two-car discount. Decisions, decisions.

Z.