View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 08:21 AM   #18
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
Sorry, but that's wrong, Jim. There are two U shaped members under the car... the rear axle support with the steel cable loop, which is the correct jack point, and the little cross member just in front of the muffler, which is the one shown in the rainy day photo. Heck, the rainy day photo even describes it as the one just in front of the muffler, which is wrong.

I suspect you didn't get under your Boxster and look around, or it would be clear and obvious that there are two places that could be mistaken for each other. <- WTF is this?? I was just under it last week changing Oil and Plugs for winter storage, FWI. Think of them as the front and rear attachment points for the sheet metal brace (the flat pan) that covers the rear section of the car. The rear attachment point is just in front of the muffler to a small cross member. The front attachment point is at the axle support where the cable loop is. Each has two bolts. The front point, between the wheels, on the front end of the sheet metal brace, far away from the muffler, is the correct jack point.
Hi,

Jack, I just came in from crawling under my car and you are right, I was wrong. These are indeed 2 different areas, though they looked the same to me. I have always used the Box Beam 'U' shaped crossmember whern raising the car to set my stands at the jack plates as described in the Bentley Manual.

After a thorough inspection, if you're only raising the car to place the stands under it, I suspect that this incorrect jack point will also work. This piece is a fairly substantial 'U' shaped I Beam and I believe it would carry the weight. Clearly this is what the Rainy Day pic shows.

My choice would still be to use the crossmember which is forward to the one in the Rainy Day pic, because I think the crossmember is better situated under most of the rear weight. But, I think the other would work as well.

One final thing, I would never use either of these lift points for anything other than raising the car to place proper stands in the proper locations...

Happy Motoring... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote