Thread: Car Dies
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2021, 08:11 AM   #36
blue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
Believe it was #3 where it was mentioned there were misfires so blackish plugs would make sense in that aspect. What is causing the misfires though I think is the issue.

Can't remember, but did you try swapping coils from bank 1 to bank 2 to see if the misfires follow?

Offer to do a zoom to look through duramtric still stands. With a cold engine here is what I would capture:
rpm
oil temp
misfire cylinder 1-6

Do it with a cold engine, let it get up to temp, then export to a CSV file and link to it here.

What I noticed at one point with mine is that misfires would happen once the SAE turns off and then rpm's would fluctuate. the data from durametric is easy enough to graph out in Excel too so putting charts to things can help visualize things.
Swapping coils from one bank to the other can only tell you if the coil is good or not.
There is nothing wrong with doing that as a test.
It tells you if the coil is good or not.
But it is an incomplete test.
The coil and spark plug needs to be tested on the head = cylinder that has the misfires. A coil and or spark plug will not fire if the wiring to the coil or plug is faulty no matter how good the coil or plug is
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote