Thread: Bumper opinions
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2021, 06:33 PM   #2
RedTele58

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlvr View Post
That's a good looking catfish
Yes it is. It's also not a 986 catfish.

It's a completely different look on a larger, more proportioned car with different headlights.

I don't dislike the look on a bigger car that can take the proportions of a larger, more open front grill area. It's to my eye all out of proportion on the smaller, curvier profile of the 986.

I'm not taking a personal swipe at you - honest, so please don't take it that way. it's just to my eye the two front ends don't look right on a 90's era (smaller, curvier) Boxster. I'm sure they would look completely different on a 981 or maybe even a 987.

Reading your other post, I understand what you're wanting to do in upgrading your car to a more modern look. I just don't think the larger, sharper, more angular, open grill look of those front bumper covers fit either the proportion, or the softer, curvier look of the 986.

I'll go out on a ledge here and probably get smacked by a few guys (fair enough), but I see too many cars that folks start adding modern looking lights, 19" wheels, and other tomfoolery to that really distract from the simpler look of the 986. You can't just tack on a bunch of aftermarket crap and think you've made your car look more modern. You've all seen a 60 year old woman dress like she's 20 - it's usually a walking disaster.

I like the look of the rear diffuser, the side skirts and (depending on which one) an aftermarket rear spoiler. I just don't think these particular front bumper covers are the best looking option for the 986.

But I'm in the middle of building my little Outlaw Boxster that I have no doubt will receive some scorn from a few folks when I have it complete and "unveiled" this fall. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to "marry" Boxster Red and Metropole Blue together in the interior. The colors work, but it's not as simple as pulling some blue pieces and putting red pieces in their place. There's a lot more to making it blend. Same with those front bumper covers, you can't just tack one of them on a 986 and think you have a modern looking car.

But, like others have said, "it's your car, build it your way. Because in the end, it's your $ and hard work, and you're the only one that has to like it."

Just make sure you post up pictures when you're done with the build.

Last edited by RedTele58; 07-23-2021 at 06:38 PM.
RedTele58 is offline   Reply With Quote