View Single Post
Old 07-20-2021, 11:22 AM   #10
elgyqc

Garage
A set of wheel bearings finally arrived this morning. I have seen in a couple of videos that people open up the new bearings, take them apart and regrease them with high temperature grease. One video makes it look really easy to do this, in another it looks a bit harder and then there is a comment by a guy saying that he destroyed his bearings trying to take them apart. So I decided to do a partial repack, just removing the seals rather than trying a complete disassembly and cleaning. I used Lucas X-TRA Heavy Duty Grease,
The seals (2 on each side of each bearing) come off easily using a pick. My bearings did not have the grease really packed around all the balls.

I wiped away as much of the original grease as possible and used a paper towel and small screw driver to get it out from between the balls.

Then I used a drug store seringe to shoot grease into the space between the balls, hoping that will force it into the inner race and surround the balls.

Regreased...

... and resealed...

Bearings and hubs are now in the freezer for the next step... installing them.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote