View Single Post
Old 06-27-2021, 10:52 AM   #448
BRAN
WALDMEISTER

Garage
here in Germany we will be facing a switch from analog to digital radio end of 2022.

That means:
You'll got to have a DAB+ (digital) radio and a DAB+ digital antenna to receive digital radio stations, or.....silence.

Problem #1:
Our windscreen integrated antenna and its little trustworthy amplifier don't really meet the required specifications to receive DAB+ radio.
So normally you have to install a 2nd antenna for DAB+, but tbh they look really bad on the windshield (or you can install an external DAB+ antenna, but who in their right mind would do that to a Boxster).

Solution #1 (WIP):
Either get a new DAB+ antenna and try to install that under the front bumper, OR use a splitter/amplifier with our old integrated windshield antenna.
Advice: Don't get those cheap chinese knock-offs (been there, done that...not so great). So I bought a professional splitter from a german company.

This will use the existing analog antenna and will split the signal into a digital & analog signal.

Problem #2:
We have an active (always thought it was passive) radio antenna with an amplifier (location: right a pillar) which filters some required frequencies.

Solution #2 (WIP):
Somehow create a workaround, to get rid of the Porsche amplifier and ONLY use the antenna as a passiv antenna with that new splitter (they recommend passive antennas anyways).
On the right side it should be the antenna cable. Uninstalling the amplifier was not a biggie, but creating a new z-coded antenna connector cable will be the next step.

Let's see, how that goes. And of course, no real infos on the net, as no one has documented this kind of approach yet. If it works, I will be (one of) the first to reuse our old antenna for digital radio.
And again, why can't stuff be simple just once?
Cuz...

Last edited by BRAN; 06-27-2021 at 10:31 PM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote