View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 07:33 AM   #2
blue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoporsche View Post
Hi everyone

I've had my 98 Boxster with 85k miles for almost two years.

I went from being a total mechanical nube to, well, I'm still a nube but I have done the following things to it all myself (except as noted):

Replaced all fluids and filters (except fuel filter)
Replaced drive belt
New water pump
New thermostat
Replaced rear coolant hoses
Short shift kit
Replaced windshield wiper motor
New radio (with cassette!)
New tires, shocks and springs and motor mount (I had a mechanic do this)
Replaced brake rotors and pads
Stainless steel brake lines
Replaced trunk/frunk lid shocks and installed lid protector

I'm writing to ask your advice about prioritizing maintenance tasks in preparation for a cross country trip this summer (from NC to either San Diego or Aspen, haven't decided yet). I'd like the car to be as reliable for this trip as possible.

I've decided that the IMS/RMS is not a problem in this car (likely has the double row bearings) so I want to fend off that argument right off the bat.

The top is mostly water proof and I feel comfortable with leaving that as is for now.

My coolant tank just went so I will need to do that first and I need to sort out the A/C as it is not working.

Aside from those two immediate needs, I welcome your advice on how to prioritize the following tasks. And please include any that I have missed. My budget for the parts is about $1000.

Spark plugs/tubes
Coils
Fuel injectors
AOS
Battery
Alternator
Starter
Ignition switch
Engine sensors (O2, coolant temp, ambient air, oil level/temp, flywheel, camshaft, oil pressure, mass air flow)

Thank you in advance for your help!
As to your list.
Spark plugs you could replace.
Do a visual of the tubes and coils at that time. If they are good then leave them alone.

Fuel injectors: Run Techron or a good quality fuel system cleaner as a regular part of maintenance.

All you engine sensors:
If they are performing within spec. leave them alone.

You could test you AOS with a "PROPER" vacuum gauge.
If it is within spec. leave it alone.

Check all your hoses and belts for wear.

Everything else:
If it isn't broke don't fix it.

People cause more problems by fixing things that are not broken then if they would have left them alone in the first place.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote