View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 06:17 AM   #3
bcrdukes

Apologies for the wall of text in advance.

I think this is a dilemma we all face, but ultimately boils down to ones circumstances and what your plans are.

Personally, I don't feel the need to spring the premium for Porsche branded parts, so it's aftermarket for me. There is a time and place to spring for Porsche branded parts, but for stuff like coffin arms, track arms, control arms, etc. I'd go with aftermarket/cheaper parts.

It's been proven over many years and loads of experiences of Boxster owners that TRW/Meyle/Lemforder-made parts are just as good as Porsche branded and so forth. There are some brands that are better than others, so really you just have to do your own research. Are there some zealots who overcompensate and spend big money on aftermarket parts or only swear by Porsche branded parts? Absolutely. (And I am one of them...sometimes.)

I think what will help you decide is what you plan on doing with this car, and how long you want to keep it for. I'm quite happy with my Boxster as a fun car when I have a reliable daily driver. Coming from a daily driver 996, the Boxster is a fun, reliable secondary vehicle. Loved my 996 but had to sell due to a cross-country move and didn't want it to die a painful death with exposure to salt and living in a rust belt. My Boxster has been extremely reliable, but I just wished that the cost of ownership was as comparable to my Toyota (hahaha I wish!) Hope that helps.

Edit: Struts / shocks - buy new, please. Don't buy used. You never know what you're getting from used suspensions.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 06-16-2021 at 06:37 AM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote