View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 05:52 AM   #1
PLP

Cheap suspension? Used parts?

Well, this might be the Pandora Box question. Bear with me.

I know some purists with yell OEM only, but we all know Porsche stamp costs a lot. OEM supplier will sell it at 150 USD, but Porsche will add another 250 USD just to put the part into Porsche box.
Anyway…

My suspension is shot. I thought the clunks were from the sway bar links, but actually are from the coffins or whatever else. The car has 110k miles and does not seem anything was replaced.
I decided to replace all pieces as it is pointless to swap one by one in order to chase the culprit.

Money being a concern, as always, I searched for options.
I would like to use OEM, but the prices are pretty steep. I would need about 4000-5000 USD for all the pieces (wishbones, control arms, and track rods – no steering pieces here).

Google comes to help and cross search for parts reveals many options….
I think I will go with Meyle (for all they have) and TWR for the rear control arm (986-331-043-04). That would be from Pelican with about 1200-1500 total.

However, eBay, Amazon, or the rock store auto have many cheaper options.

It brings up the question – are any of them worth the effort? I mean, one could find those at maybe even 800 USD total. Or even less for used parts... which I personally think is a bit too far... so skip this option.

Has anyone tried the cheapest parts?

Second part is – struts are gone as well. No question they are still factory…
I might be able to get a used set of struts and springs from a 20k old car for less than 400 USD. That would still give me pretty much lifetime usage (another 40k miles – probably 8-10 years driving if not longer).
Or go with struts only (springs stay)… which would be 1500 USD or so. Struts themselves about 1100 plus all rubbers, mounts, pieces another 400.

Used or new?

My plan for now – I am leaning towards Meyle and used struts.
Suggestions?

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote