Thread: Buying Advice
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2021, 08:14 PM   #20
PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike914 View Post
In further discussions with the owner he revealed it needs struts

I viewed some videos and in addition to 1000 dollars for parts there is quite a bit of labor.

Mike
Mike,
I got 2003 with 110k miles.

It needs to be repainted (too many "small things"), all suspension replaced (shocks and all the coffin arms, and so on), I just did sway bars. New tires. And a few small things, like microswitches, foam in ducts, deep cleaning.
Overall car that needs a lot of attention.

My budget was to get Boxster up to 10k.
I got this one for 5k.

But I am going to spend another 5-8k on repairs.
Now, it is more than I would be planning on spending on a car, but if you look on this from other perspective - at 100k miles the cars will need suspension. If it was done by the previous owner, it will be reflected in the purchase price.
Otherwise, you may need to do it.

Shocks - about 800-900 from B6's from "stone" auto, which is more of a rock (autocorrect does not allow for store names... interesting).
All suspension parts - from DR911 for another 1100. Small pieces to shocks - another 500 or so. Total 2500 for brand new suspension. Plus alignment.

How long are you going to keep the car? Two years? One? Drive it for a few thousand miles? Then do not bother investing. Enjoy and have fun. Of course limited fun due to the fact suspension is weak.

Mike, where are you located?

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote