View Single Post
Old 06-10-2021, 02:54 PM   #20
911monty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Rad is right. I read that tsb, it actually specifically says that the parts are not to be intermixed. There are certainly a few people who have done that swap though and it seems like no one killed their motor in doing my so.

I'm all for updating parts, but with the available evidence this seems a bit sketchy to do.

This may be a silly thing to say, but who cares about startup chain rattle? If the ramps are good, your cam deviations are good, and the oil pressures are fine I personally think this is a non-issue.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Just how silly? Who cares? Apparently Porsche engineers did. In fact per the following technical bulletin the change was made to specifically address noise.

5 chain.pdf

As far as sketchy goes, The changes per the technical bulletin was moving from a roller to a tooth type chain requiring a change to the crank and IMS drive sprockets, these obviously are not interchangeable and the TSB makes sure to address this. The change to the Tensioner was to add an external spring to help during startup. Even though not mentioned in the Technical bulletin there were improvements to the chain paddle. However the point the chain tensioner contacts on the backside of the paddle that has no interaction with the tooth type chain remained the same black plastic pad in the same location.

Personally I see this as an mechanical improvement unlike a 1200 cfm square bore .

Last edited by 911monty; 06-10-2021 at 03:19 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote