View Single Post
Old 06-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #9
KevinH1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
I believe the shifter you are referring to that’s shorter is what’s on the gt2 and gt3 if I’m not mistaken. I know the 987 / 997 is for sure is better then stock but just wondering if it’s better to just get the short shifter kits rather then stock
I think it is a matter of personal preference. The best way to decide would be to check out all of the options in person and decide which meets your expectations. I picked the 987/997 shifter because:

1. I found one available for about $130
2. I didn't have to destroy my shifter to install it
3. Several people on the forums spoke highly of it
4. As a bonus, I was able to sell my OEM 986 shifter to someone else for $50 so that they could use it as a base for installing an aftermarket short shifter.

The 987/997 OEM short shifters were in the $300 price range and that was more than I wanted to spend. At a net cost of $80 I think I got my money's worth. Since I was painting my center console and replacing the parking brake switch at the same time, the extra labor was negligible. I concede that there are likely to be better options. If I ever run across an inexpensive OEM 987/997 short shifter, I expect I would buy it and install it.

I once drove a Honda S2000 back-to-back with my Boxster and I found the S2000 shifter to be much better than the Boxster. I think the S2000 shifter is superior to the shifter on the Miata I previously owned. The Boxster and the Carrera need longer shift linkages than the S2000 or the Miata. I expect that engineering a good shifter is more challenging in a mid or rear engine car than in a car with a front engine and the transmission located below the driver's right hand. Try driving a 914 sometime. The shifters in the 914s I've driven have been very loose and I found it difficult to determine whether I was in gear or which gear I was in.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote