View Single Post
Old 03-30-2021, 06:33 PM   #16
ike84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
You are saying the car had been jacked up since Thanksgiving, right? Did you jack up only the rear end? Perhaps you did have an air pocket in front which moved up to the rear end while being jacked up? Just a thought...
No, it was jacked on all 4 corners and level all around. It certainly has been at an angle while going onto and off the stands, but no more than driving up a hill or loading on a trailer.

The more I think about this the more I'm convinced it's a failed TStat. There are two (broadly speaking) types of these, traditional ones and "fail safe" ones. What's the difference? When fail safe stats fail, they snap open and stay there. Why? Because when the traditional ones fail, this is what happens and the car overheats. Unfortunately, I don't not think that any boxster TStat is a "fail safe" design.

If I had just changed the fluid that would be a different story, but piper's point is hard to ignore.

I will say though that I asked my friend who is a professional mechanic and he has on multiple occasions seen tstats fail after prolonged storage - essentially they just get stuck. I have mixed coolants in the system (all OAT of course) but it will be interesting to see what everything looks like when it all gets drained and the TStat is out.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk