View Single Post
Old 03-30-2021, 09:10 AM   #28
Homeoboxter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
....so you guys apparently do not read my posts.
We do read your posts. This is what you said:

Oil just sitting in the sump, with the car never started, collects water from condensation every morning. It’s not that the oil itself goes bad, it’s that it collects water and will creat sludge and corrosion.

I replied to this statement when I said it`s a complete waste to change oil in a car that did not run for six months and it`s bad for the environment.

Oil does not collect water from condensation every morning because it`s a closed system. If you pour fresh oil into an engine, never start it up, then you drain the oil, it`s exactly the same you had poured in it before.

As for oil-water mixture pumping through the engine: even in an engine that runs every day the water accumulation in engine oil is negligible. Some water from air may get into the cylinders after passing the air filter or the kats but will evaporate instantly once the combustion turns on. Water originating from burnt fuel will leave the engine through the exhaust. If ANY water gets into the sump it will sink down to the bottom of the sump as being heavier than oil and won`t get picked up. Oil does not mix with water. If water got trapped in the sump, it will evaporate, then get back to the engine with the crankcase gasses and the engine burns it. If any water accumulated in the sump you should see that fraction first coming off when you change oil. I`ve never seen anything like that even in engines where oil had not been changed for years.

Like I said, I don`t mind spending money on my car if it`s reasonable. But changing oil every half a year because water displaces oil and cuts internal parts does not seem very reasonable to me. Especially if the car was not turned on.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote