Thread: 2.7 swap
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2021, 07:08 PM   #33
Dllrd23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aanic View Post
@truegearhead - I'm much in the same boat here. Looking to swap out my 2.5. From what I'm gathering you used the 2.7 engine, swapped the fuel rail, the crossover and the throttle body form the 2.5, the 2.5 harness and blocked off the crossover valve?

Everything else pretty much plug and play?

@DLLRD23 - Keep us up to date, I'm watching this one with a lot of interest.
Here is what I learned so far. The hardest part of this is going to be the o2 sensors. I am thinking that my solution is going to be replacing all 4 with longer pigtails so that I can use the 2.7 exhaust if for no other reason than to not have to remove the manifolds and rick breaking the bolts. I am confident that I can drill and tap without damaging the head as this is a common occurrence in my job but who wants that aggravation? the reason for the longer pigtail is that in the 2.7L engine harness, you will find all 4 of the o2 connectors where in the 2.5 harness there are only connectors for the upstream o2's the downstream o2's connect to wires that locate up through the trunk and run into the white connector to the right of the ECM and from there go to the ECM. I plan on pulling the o2's and running a scope into the hole front and back to get a good idea of the condition of the catalyst material. You can get a very inexpensive camera that attached to your phone for about $25 from Aamzon.

You will have to change over the coolant temp sensor or swap connectors (which seems a lot harder as you would have to have a reliable wiring diagram and I have already found mistakes in the Bentley Manual). Again not too terribly expensive but it all adds up. About $40 on the high side.

I am changing the AOS, Water Pump, Thermostat, IMS bearing, and Rear Main Seal in the first round of parts. Second round will be spark plug tubes and seals, Spark plugs, I will need new intake gaskets, exhaust manifold to pipe gaskets and bolts, and a new Oil cooler. Figure these should run about $750 (round 1 and 2 combined). Not all of this is necessary but I could not choose which one I would want to do with the engine in the car should save a lot of time in the long run.

My particular car will need some interior work and well as removal of one scratch (with dent) in the rear quarter and a new top replaced before I will call it done. Hope to have it up and running in about 6 weeks. Keep watching and check out some of the videos at a You Tube Channel I just started tonight where I will post videos of the build.
Dllrd23 is offline   Reply With Quote