View Single Post
Old 03-28-2021, 06:06 AM   #17
Frodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chboro View Post
I installed a magnetic drain plug at my last oil change and torqued it correctly. Today I was going to change oil and I could not get the drain plug out. In fact my allen rounded out the hex portion trying to unscrew it.
Do you remember what the torque value was that you used? I've got the LN magnetic plug as well—have had it for many years, and until I read this thread...

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/78328-leaking-ln-magnetic-drain-plug.html

...I had no idea they were supposed to be torqued differently than the OEM plug. In fact, I had no idea most people even used torque wrenches when replacing oil drain plugs of either variety. I've had my '01 since 2006, have done every oil change except one, and had NEVER used a torque wrench. I used the same process I used for years with all my cars: I'd crank them until they 'felt about right.' Never had a problem. (Well, once. One time I had a slight drip on the Boxster. Maybe a few drops/day, following an oil change. Got back underneath, applied a couple ft-lb more torque (by feel) and the problem went away.)

But, after reading that thread I got a little paranoid about it and started using the torque wrench. Why not, I figured? It's about as easy to access as could be possible, so I had no reason not to start.

But I just wondered whether you cranked to LN specs or to OEM specs?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote