View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 08:52 AM   #21
Homeoboxter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
....As I posted, twice already, it’s not that the oil itself “goes bad”, it’s that the oil sump fills with water from condensation and the fuel that gets by the piston rings.

The contaminants collect in the sump.

Just sitting in there, corrosion occurs and your oil will not be as good a lubricant because it won’t just be oil that is being pumped throughout your engine on startup.

And for crying out loud, if you invested in a sports car, you made a commitment to owning a complex piece of machinery, and that requires maintenance. And that costs money.

So suck it up, and drop a $100 on an oil change.

I’m sorry, but if $100 every six months is “wasting money”, then you should not have invested in the car in the first place.

Ride a bicycle.

And lube the bike chain.
I agree with frequent oil changes if it`s reasonable. But changing oil every half year in a car that was sitting makes no sense to me either. It`s a waste for the environment. Yes, oil gets acidic because of blow by, as exhaust gases produce acids in the oil eventually. But an engine that`s sitting nothing is going to blow by the rings. Also, it`s a closed system, accumulation of water from air is negligible in 6 months. Its not hygroscopic like brake fluid.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote