Thread: New 986 owner
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 04:57 PM   #10
RedTele58

Headlights will go for $500-600 if they are in decent shape and lenses aren't burned and the rubber trim pieces are in decent shape. Expect less if the lights need work or cleaned up.

Your wheels are 2-piece 18" Sport Design. If they're in decent shape (no curbing, gouges, etc) you MIGHT get $750-800 for them. Prepare to sit on them for awhile if you're looking for that kind of money. $600 is probably more realistic. If they are only of fair condition, expect $500. If you have to ship them, expect shipping to run $25-50 each. Someone wanting them and having to pay for shipping isn't going to give you top dollar. And then, the 18" tires on your wheels aren't going to fit the 17" wheels your buddy has, so figure out what you're going to do for replacement tires.

Your aerokit, if complete - front bumper cover w/ grills, both side skirts and the rear fiberglass decklid w/ spoiler and the trim pieces from the trunk that cover up where the pop up spoiler usually sits may fetch you $1,200-1,500 for the complete kit. If you try to break it up, you might get $5-600 for the front bumper cover if it's not torn up, the side skirts if in decent shape will probably bring you $300 and the rear deck lid, spoiler and trim pieces might bring $5-600.

The problem with the aerokit is if you can't find a local guy to buy them and you have to ship them, it becomes pretty expensive to ship, and anyone interested will think twice when they factor in shipping.

Then factor in your time to remove everything. If you sell the aerokit, how you gonna replace it? With a (probably) mismatched front bumper cover off a wreck, when you remove the side skirts you'll have holes to fix where they were attached that you'll have to fix. Same with the deck kid. Plan to buy a salvage decklid, and a pop-up spoiler, motor and all the associated crap that goes with it, (because an aerokit car doesn't have a pop-up spoiler) Then you're going to have a car with a mismatched front bumper cover, holes in the lower body where the side skirts mounted and a cobbed together mismatched rear decklid and spoiler.

Yeah - that'll add value to the car. By the time you fix your car of many colors, you'll have more money in replacing the aerokit than you sold it for.

So - still think it's a good idea?

Your best bet is to swap the headlights and maybe make $300, you might make a couple hundred on the wheels by replacing them with 17"s, and you'll lose your ass trying to remove the aerokit and replacing it with standard base model pieces and making the car look decent.

And the prices I quoted you above are all prices I've paid for the exact parts over the past couple of years. I have several sets of Sport Design wheels that I paid less than $500 for each set, 2-3 sets of clear headlights I paid $450-600 for each set. I have two complete aerokits that I've bought by pieces and parts paying what I told you above on prices.

If you look on eBay, right now there are several aero front bumper covers for sale at the $800-$1,000 range. Then look at the shipping costs on them. And at $800-1,000 they've been sitting a long time. I've been watching them.

Not trying to hurt your feelings, but you're pretty much wasting your time if your going to swap anything more than the headlights.

Clean the car up and hope you can get $1,000 more than you paid for it.

And then, if you were to attempt all this tom-foolery, your going to go to market with a pieced together Boxster missing the cool factor of clear headlights, 18" wheels and an aerokit. Now sit your cobbled together car against one of a thousand unmolested Boxsters for sale and see how it sells...

If you decide to tear the car apart, let me know about the aerokit - you know above what they're worth.