View Single Post
Old 02-19-2021, 07:02 AM   #34
porschefan76

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
A test I do is compare MAF signal to Throttle position sensor signal.
There is a direct correlation between the two.
I hook up my Durametric and put the MAF signal and the Throttle position sensor signal on the same Graph. Then I take the car for a good long drive.
I set the laptop on the passenger seat so I can watch the two signals.

What you should see is the two signals paralleling each other. The TPS signal is slightly smoother then the MAF but by very little. That just the difference between air movement generating one signal and mechanical movement generating the other signal.
So you should see Both signals following your foot so to speak. If your very smooth on the throttle both signals should increase with the same smoothness. If you floor it both signals should react the same way. If your smooth on the throttle or holding a steady RPM both signals should follow each other. If you see something erratic in the MAF signal when your throttling smooth or holding a steady RPM then there is an issue with the MAF.

I do this with my car over a 52 mile loop. Gives me every driving condition one would ever encounter. City stop and go, to country flat out, hills, curves the works.
Actually a fun test to do.
This sounds great. I'll include throttle position sensor output in my data pull the next time I am performing a test drive.

So, I've been doing further reading on the pre-cat O2 sensor because now I'm stuck on the fact that the output of those sensors does not appear to change while the fuel trims are being modified (ie. in Post #14, the Bank 1 and 2 pre-cat (FORE) sensors display almost the same sine wave while the RKAT is at 0 as it does when RKAT moves to -0.25 to -0.75 on all the way to -2.5). If the ECU is adjusting the fuel trims negative as a result of O2 sensor feedback loop reporting rich (my understanding of the function), shouldn't the O2 sensor display a sine wave that looks like it's seeing rich? I'm considering inducing a LARGE vacuum leak at idle while pulling data and see if the O2 sensors respond to this by indicating lean, at least for a couple of seconds. ScannerDanners videos show lots of response from the O2 sensors while he is changing various inputs (pressing the gas, inducing vacuum leaks, plugging vacuum leaks, etc) and my sensors don't seem to display any of that. Is this specific to the operation of these sensors? Maybe they're just bad and 200 bucks will fix these issues? I really need to see STFT to better understand this I think.

Again, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
porschefan76 is offline   Reply With Quote