View Single Post
Old 02-10-2021, 05:37 PM   #3
Qingdao

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidelli17 View Post
Good day, all.

I was eight years old when Porsche put its 914 concept on display. I had to wait a half century, but I finally own a Porsche, a 1999 Boxster 986 Tiptronic, 85,000 miles, very good condition, bought it from a guy with a small collection and a very nice back story linking him to Formula One.

It is almost exactly the car I have waited for all these years, and I just grin every time I walk into the garage.

My question: I will be installing the Z-Art Cayman-style hardtop. Has anyone here installed one, then installed a sunroof?

And yes, I know just how insane it sounds to take a convertible, install a hardtop and then install a sunroof. But this is about lust and aesthetics, not reason. If it was about reason, I'd drive a 15-year-old Honda Accord.

This is about giving that eight-year-old boy exactly the gift he's waited 50 years for.

Appreciate any and all input in helping make this project happen.

Best to all of you, and be well.

Michael.

p.s. Tried to upload a pic, but board kept rejecting it. The last error message said I was wearing white shoes after Labor Day. Sigh ...

I love the idea. Not for me, but I still love it.

So, if you don't already own a Z-top then you don't know there is a padded section in the middle of them. I think its there just to break up what would be just a big sploch of exterior colored paint. Regardless of why there is a section of padded carpet on the inside it would make a perfect place for a moon roof.

If you wanted it to be just a moon roof that doesn't open that is easy as pie. Get a glass roof from a car at a junkyard and cut a hole. Use some urethane to seal it in and put the OEM trim strip from the donor car to make it look sharp. If you have the trim from the junkyard car and the moonroof glass is urethaned in strong you'll never know it wasn't factory.

Just a thought but eclipses are plentiful in the junkyards and lots of them had moon roofs. Seems about the right size too.

A movable top or removable top would be a VERY daunting task. I don't even know where to begin making that happen. Your cuts would have to be super precise. And I don't imagine it would be any easier to get it to seal at speed (don't know about you but I paid for the whole speedometer I wanna use it).

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote