View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #1
ike84

82 mm throttle body

Hey everyone, I wanted to share some pics of a project I'm finishing up. But first, a little back story...

2 years ago I was in the market for a sports car and stumbled upon a real garage queen - 00 base with 27k miles on it. I snatched it up and had Pat Williams do an IMS replacement for me and have loved the car ever since. Recently I moved to a rural area with wide open back roads and found myself wishing the car had a bit more oomph (mostly in terms of acceleration). So, the quest for more power began.

I know what everyone is thinking at this point "oh boy, not another one of these guys". To that end I will only say that I'm not doing this for racing purposes and I'm not looking to make the car spit flames out the back. I'm a tinkerer by nature and a bit of a scientist by trade so when really studying these cars it seemed to me that there are some obvious points that can changed and possibly improved. Plus, I'm curious to see what will happen lol. So, here we are, with the first part of that mad idea - bigger intake.

Here are the parts, it's really quite straightforward truthfully. Just a bit radical in execution
Early 996 plenum (for cable driven TB)
82 mm throttle body (cayenne turbo)
2 x 45 degree 3.5" silicone intake elbows
A short segment of 3.5" stainless
3.25" MAF housing (identical size to 996 but part is aftermarket Mercedes)
3.5" T shape short ram intake for GM (mostly found on C5 vettes)

Here are the porsche "speciality tools" used
3# mason hammer
4" hole saw and reciprocating saw
Factory jack (thanks porsche)

On to the execution
Gut the intake (drop the motor to do this, you can get the stock box out intact)
Strip the trunk and relocate the ECU a bit to gain slack on the wiring harness
Use mason hammer and jack to deform the cross member downward by 3/4 inch to gain enough clearance
Use hole saw to cut opening into firewall (gasp?!?!) between trunk and engine bay and use reciprocating saw to open up the too of the engine bay enclosure a bit.
Assemble and mount components

There are a few minor things from that point - opening up the wiring harness to get slack on the MAF sensor wiring to reach the new housing, extend the AOS hose to reach new attachment position, trim out the rough opening with rubber u moulding, and knock out the vents in the trunk to provide adequate ventilation.

And now, in the name of "pics or it didn't happen"...

Now look, I'm sure there are gonna be guys who are gonna gripe about not having dyno numbers (they will come but not until later in the project, lots more to come eventually) and criticize for loss of low end torque (which I realize is a very really possibility). But like I said, this is driven by a love of tinkering and a very itchy "what if".

The next step in this madness will be a 2.5" exhaust setup, and then plenty more after that. It's gonna take me a while to work through everything so bear with me, but I promise to keep pics rolling as the progress happens.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk