Thread: Variocam Issue?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 11:16 AM   #53
freserf

Test Run Today or Tomorrow

Just wanted to give an update ... yesterday I was able to finish setting the timing without the tensioner alignment tool and replace the head cover using Loctite 5900. The tech articles on Pelican are very helpful but not exactly the same as my engine. For instance, my cam sprocket does not have the slots on the outside but sandwiched between. Not that it mattered too much, but it is the little things that tend to stump me sometimes. I am letting it setup for 24hours before I start it up. I ended up installing a new variocam solenoid ... the original tested ok, but it is covered for life now so it was worth the money.

Ran into a problem with the secondary oil pump ... it had a hard to turn spot. Opened it up and found scoring from previous metal running through it. It cleaned up well and is back on the head. Will keep it on the list of things to do if I do drop the engine in the near future.

After going through this engine in the car fix I think I am convinced to do any work like this with the engine out of the car. It might be time consuming, but it would be much easier to perform without trying to squeeze everything into it for example ... trying to keep the head mating surfaces clean while applying sealant and holding the head cover and your mouth the right way in order to install it ... performed several dry runs just to make sure it would go in without mucking it up.

Will update this evening or tomorrow on how it runs ...
freserf is offline   Reply With Quote