View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 07:08 AM   #13
Javi Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
BrokenLinkage - the factory made two different versions of the aerokit; one for the generation 1 986, the second for the Gen II 986.

The Gen I is the one I normally see. It has a different front bumper cover, softer curved side skirts, and a fixed rear spoiler mounted on a fiberglass rear decklid. For the Gen I cars the pop up spoiler was removed, and plastic trim pieces were added inside the trunk to cover where the pop up spoiler sat. The fiberglass decklid was longer than the steel lid to make up the difference in spacing where the pop up spoiler sat. Additionally, the deck lid had no cutout for the third brakelight. Thr brakelight was mounted in the spoiler.

The Gen II kit was not (to me) near as good looking. The front bumper cover as near as I can tell is a stock bumper cover, the side skirts are sharper and more angular and the fixed rear spoiler was mounted on a regular length steel deck lid. The pop up spoiler was intact, but disabled. That's probably why the car you saw looked to have the pop up spoiler in place.

The blue car below with the top down is a Gen II car. You can see the later style pop up spoiler is still in place, along with the steel deck lid having the cutout for the third brakelight (and no brake light mounted in the spoiler).

In the bottom pic of my Gen I blue car with the hard top, you can see the deck lid extends clear to the rear bumper cover, there is no cutout in the fiberglass decklid for the third brakelight, and the brakelight is mounted in the spoiler.

I don't think that first photo (top down car) is a Gen 2 wing. The car is a Gen 2 but the wing looks like a Ebay copy of a Gen 1. The OEM Gen 2 wing is taller and has a 3rd brake light.

These are the OEM Aerokits:

986.1 Aerokit. Front bumper, side skirts, rear wing. Fiberglass trunk lid without 3rd brake light replaces original metal lid and eliminates pop-up spoiler. Rear wing w/ brake light is bolted to new fiberglass lid:

986.2 Aerokit. GT3 style (996.1) front bumper and side skirts, rear wing. Rear wing w/ 3rd brake light is bolted on original trunk lid, original 3rd brake light stays in place:

986.2 Sport Desing. Side skirts only. Adding to the confusion, you could order a 986.2 without an Aerokit but with the Sport Design package (option code 012), which included the GT3 side skirts but no front bumper or rear wing. This Boxster on Bring a Trailer is one of the few ones I've seen with this option:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-porsche-boxster-s-15/

Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote