View Single Post
Old 12-18-2020, 05:32 PM   #1
P_Carfahrer
Pathological Tinkerer

Full Suspension Design/Build/Install

Merry Christmas everyone!! I wanted to document my suspension update for anyone interested with the parts I have built and decided to start this thread to separate it from my LCA discussion as there will be a bunch of parts other than the LCAs that are going to be installed that I will also share. For transparency, the parts I will install have all been modeled with detailed drawings by myself, taking reference dimensions from the car, OEM parts, a few aftermarket parts, and machined working with buddies’ in their shops. A few parts are still to be built.

I will note materials used, if anyone is inclined to know about that stuff. All parts have been subjected to FEA through Solidworks simulations to analyze potential functional loads on various load axes/directions. I won’t go into detail as any given part will have many scenarios simulated.

The inner monoballs and outer arms are machined from 7075-T6 with the outer modeled after the OEM 996 adjustable LCA. Bearings are Teflon lined FK COM12T with F1 fit. Bushings are 4340 with metric grade 10 fasteners with the outer bolt upsized to 14mm. Grade 12.9 threaded rod is permanently Loc-tited into the monoball end with M8 jet nuts connecting the inner and outers with 6061 aluminum spacers to increase arm length and also take up threaded rod extension. All aluminum is hard anodized.

Both bearings are interference press fit and utilize bearing retaining compounds and heavy-duty Spiro-loc type internal snap rings.

Here are some shots of the installed arms from various perspectives.

Here is a shot using an adjustable hand reamer to enlarge the upright hole to accommodate the 14mm fastener. I could have bought a 14mm drill with a shank small enough to fit a hand drill but had this and it sufficed fine. The family was not happy having to pick aluminum shavings out of the pizza.

Adjustable hand reamer set.

Last edited by P_Carfahrer; 12-18-2020 at 05:34 PM.
P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote