View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 10:06 AM   #15
FredinVa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thenaton1 View Post
if you got the car for $4500, sell the shell to someone for a couple of grand and buy another. These cars are plentiful and cheap these days and unlikely to appreciate meaningfully. No point in getting 20-30k deep into a non-unique 986 when you could get a well cared for example for 10k.
Well...... I was $4500 in, when I bought it (purchase price), but after having a professional shop do the IMS, RMS, Flywheel, axle boots, and fix an air bag light, that almost doubled the cost. After that, I thought I was in the clear, so I started dumping parts in it. Rear brakes, all 4 sway bar links, new rubber floor mats, I bought a second key ($), and had the rear bumper painted because the paint had popped from a light impact. I figure I am 12-13K deep in it at this point. If I could get a used engine, add a few parts and get a few years of use out of it, I would feel better than selling it for 2K, taking the loss and giving up.

I just have to figure out the cost of the used engine route, and decide if my pride is stronger than my financial wisdom.....

Last edited by FredinVa; 12-04-2020 at 10:21 AM.
FredinVa is offline   Reply With Quote