View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 06:19 PM   #8
elgyqc

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
... IMHO, it makes no sense to spend ~20k on a 2001 Porsche. So that leaves you two options: get a used engine or just sell it as a roller. Used engines are available from 2k pulled from a working car. If you buy one, you can do a minimal work on it, swap the new parts from your dead engine, like flywheel and clutch, I would inspect the IMS and leave it as is if looks fine, I would definitely replace the chain pads in the head and put the engine back on. You'll have some risk that it will fail in the future, but it's way more likely that it won't, and it will cost a fraction of a professionally rebuilt engine.
I agree.

The original poster wrote:
Quote:
... it seems like the IMS bearing is just the tip of the iceberg with the M96/97 engines. Bore scoring, main bearings, chain guides, tensioners, the chains themselves, porous cases. I don’t know how much sense it makes going the used route. It seems like once these engines approach 100K miles there are enough issues lurking that every turn of the key could be it’s last. Am I wrong in this conclusion? Is a used engine a reasonable path?
As others have said before me, reading automotive forums gives a skewed picture of reality. Most people don't post when their car is running fine. It seems to me the porous cases were in the early cars and the problem was resolved before the year 2000. Other things mentioned are not that common on an engine that has been properly cared for or are maintenance parts like chain guides and tensioners... things to check before installing a used engine. If I bought a used engine with a single row IMSB I would likely change it before installation, but a dual row I would inspect and leave it if there was no problem, which is what I did on the blue 2000 Boxster that I owned briefly and sold to a friend.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote