View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #7
PaulE

FredinVA I feel your pain. My IMSB went in July 2018 and I had my shop rebuild my engine. I elected to have the block sent to LN Engineering for the 3.6 LN Nickies, even though my cylinder bores were fine as they were, I figured as long as I'm doing this, might as well have more power. The Nickies added 6 months to the process, after they are installed by LN they send them out to a plater who has a tremendous backlog of car, motorcycle and snowmobile engines and there are very few platers in the country that can do this work. At least that's what I was told, the 6 month wait was real. It was not a good financial decision, I did it because I've owned the car since it was new and I'm just getting started with HPDE. I don't want a more expensive car to learn how to drive on the track. When I was looking at my options, my shop told me that they have seen some terrible rebuilds from other places like Vertex. RND was one place they thought was good and I had just missed out on RND's clearance sale of M96 engines that would have worked in my car. Flat 6 Innovations and Jake Raby are great but they have a long wait list you'd have to get on.
There is a member here who has had a 3.2 engine rebuilt to 3.6 liters for sale for quite a while. If that engine would have worked in my car I would have talked to him. But my car is a 2003 with a 3 chain engine and his is an earlier 5 chain engine that would work for you. I don't know him but maybe you should reach out to BYProdriver. His asking price seems very fair compared to what I paid, but I can't break out the labor cost of my rebuild between rebuild and removal and installation. If you go ahead with a rebuild, do it expecting to keep and enjoy your car for a long time, not as an investment.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote