View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 06:39 PM   #122
Qingdao

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardSmokey View Post
Qingdao, sounds like you're staying pretty well on target for weight. As far as torque, you're aiming to have a bit more than I do, are you putting it through the 5 speed?

Wasn't really aiming for anything LOL just kinda what happened. I went with the lightest cam that would keep the engine RPMS where I need them (just so happens its the best cam for stock heads). All this was done for supercharger noise and reliability; I didn't know that the 5 speed was so weak till after I'd made the engine choice. Had I to do it over again I'd put a Honda 2.4l four cylinder with a blower on it. That engine would be good and reliable and it would make much less power than the 4.3.

250 - 300 at the wheel seems like a correct number. Stock Vortec heads make about 50ish torques per cylinder at max flow, and I'm probably gonna have half an atmosphere pushing down on it. 75 per maybe then take into account my more than likely not perfect tuning. Cram 450 through a poor transmission 250 - 300 is a good estimate IMPO.

Yup, the el-cheapo 5 speed. Gonna put it to the test. I don't drag race or track my car, its just gonna be my new daily driver. Even if I have to replace the trans 5 times it'll still cost less than switching to a 6 speed. So after this trans goes, I'll just replace it and rebuild the old one. Keep the old trans on the mend while I break the one in the car.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote