View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 07:49 PM   #181
Homeoboxter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Very nice built and great that you post us the updates to learn from! You'll be on the road in notime with this rate of rebuilt speed:dance:
Thanks! Yep, it`s getting there, although newer obstacles keep coming up along the way... I managed to start the engine the other day, it ran for about 2 seconds then died. Kept cranking, no response... I pulled the outlet fuel hose off of the pump and shorted the fuel pump relay. Gas was flowing but i could easily stop the flow with my thumb. That`s certainly not enough...

So I went ahead and pulled the pump assembly:

This hose snapped right away:

Removing the pump from the bottom of the tank took me quiet a bit of time, it was really stubborn and the grip of my hand was not strong enough to twist it. Finally I got it off using an oil filter wrench.

Ok, so here`s what I think happened: the pump was totally fine (it was replaced some time before because the original is not exactly like this), but the connecting lines became very very brittle and fragile, and broke immediately after being pressurized. The car was sitting for 13 years with the tank 3/4 full of gas. I think gas goes bad over time and somehow becomes aggressive to various materials, like plastic.

Insulation of all the wires are destroyed too, on the pump and on the sending unit as well.

The pump by the way is a VDO unit, same as for Audis and VWs.

Last edited by Homeoboxter; 10-17-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote