View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
Tweetdriver63

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
The wireless functionality sounds great. I didn't know that was a thing until my friend told me his new Kenwood did it.

Quick question, would this type of adapter work? I already have a USB port up front and this would be less intrusive than the bigger dongles.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/linksys-next-gen-ac-dual-band-ac600-usb-network-adapter-black/5174100.p?skuId=5174100&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=1003&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1268652&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzbv7BRDIARIsAM-A6-24swblJkdNxWoCJSiS_Ky5Qno1o16hHDeddlFfHDb2hyeoKvXy P5AaAvDLEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I guess I could buy a splitter and hide the dongle behind the head unit as well.

2 phones in the past I had the Qi charging. It was great. My wifes Camry has a built-in charging pad but it barely works due to her leather case and newer iphone.
The CarPlay2 Air dongle isn't just a usb/bluetooth dongle. It has a little computer of sorts inside that makes the phone and the stereo think they're connected directly via USB. Just a bluetooth dongle or adapter won't work because the phone and the car have to think they're directly connected. The only concern for the future is that Apple could, at some point, decide to be dicks, and send out an iOS update that prevents this adapter from working, but that's a low risk I'm willing to take.

Now, if you have an Android based stereo in your car, you can get an adapter for much less than the $129 the CarPlay2 Air costs. There are a lot of these out there that do the same thing, but only work for Android head units.

This is probably the one to get if you have an Android head unit.

I could have upgraded my Pioneer head unit to another Pioneer head unit that has wireless CarPlay built in, but that would have cost a lot more than getting this setup, and been more work.
Tweetdriver63 is offline   Reply With Quote