Thread: Winter Storage
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 06:59 PM   #18
Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Sammy,

My garage must be some type of power sucking vortex

About a month ago, my Harley sat in the garage for two weeks.

I went to start it up and the battery was dead ( brand new battery, replaced the beginning of this year ).

Now if the bike sits more than two weeks, on the charger it goes...

My Box also sat for about two weeks.

When I went to use the key to open the trunk, no dice...

Then I tried to open the door with the remote, nada...

I opened the door with the key and thank goodness the car started.

So, now if the Box sits more than two weeks, on the charger it goes.

I will still drive the Box this winter if the roads are clean, so I am not going to put it in full storage mode.

I guess that's the price I pay for owning 3 vehicles

Nick
I also had a "motorcycle phase" (might I add this was phase 1 and I expect phase 2 sometime in the future) and I had the same issues I had that you are finding with your Harley. Whenever I was ready to pull my bike from winter storage I would hook up the battery directly to my car battery and let it sit overnight (el cheapo trickle charging method). I never once started the vehicle with the motorcycle battery hooked up as I don't think that it is good for it. The car battery has plenty of juice without the car running. I'm pretty sure bikes are a different animal than todays cars (carb vs. fuel injection) which makes after storage starting a little tricky.

I am surprised that you have trouble with your Boxster. I can leave my truck at O'Hare for weeks at a time in the dead cold of winter and it always starts right up. I finally bit the bullet and bought a new battery for my truck this evening as the battery that was in it was 6 years old. I figure my luck was running out and I'd rather spend a little money on a new battery than risk it dying on me...

Does the maintainer actually prolong the life of the battery if the battery would've lost its charge? Or does it prolong its lift regardless of the condition?
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote