View Single Post
Old 06-01-2004, 05:40 PM   #4
Ronzi

I did have a 911, albeit an older one, an '81 911SC Targa, and quite frankly I feel as though I upgraded quite a ways by going to my '99 Boxster.
There is no doubt that the "feel" of the car is quite different. The 911 was like a Leica camera; it felt like it was carved out of a single block of steel. However, the crappy to non-existent AC, heavy steering, heavy shifting (short shift kit), and heavy clutch got to be wearing after a few years. I bought the 911 in '96 and sold it a couple of months ago in order to buy a Boxster.
Would I like to have a 996? Sure, and maybe a few years down the road I will, but I like the Boxster very much.
I can't say I have had the "ignore the Boxster" experience from 911s I have met on the road. They have usually waved or flashed.
I think part of it has to do with Porsche's refusal to race the Boxster, or even to paint it as a high-performance sports car. Many 911 folks seem to think they are the second coming of Bob Wollek or something and if it ain't racy, it ain't diddly.
Ronzi
'99 Boxster
Speed Yellow/Black
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote