1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
simple, find the correct yellow wire for high speed fans

Use a three prong switch.

1. prong to ground.
2. incoming yellow wire
3. outgoing yellow wire

In switch position 1, the fan operates via computer's instruction based on coolant temp.
In switch position 2, fan is off entirely
In switch position 3, fan is on full time.

pretty straightforward operation.
OK. So after having installed the replacement fans I'm ready to move on this. I have some questions, and request assistance.

I've read a few threads each illustrating a different, yet like, method of installing a fan switch mod. I choose to go the easiest, simplest, and quickest route. Yeah, right.

Assuming the three prong switch...

One prong I'll connect a wire and attach it to a ground behind/under the console. Correct?

On another prong I'll connect a wire from the two high-speed relay #85 prongs. There will be two wires coming from pins #85... I'll run them into one wire and connect it to a prong. Correct?

That final prong. The "outgoing yellow wire" (#85). To what/where is that wire connected?

It seems like a simple matter... maybe I'm overthinking it (for there are upon these pages more elaborate setups). I just want the fan system to operate as designed... yet affording me the ability to turn on the high-speed fans whenever the occasion calls... and without the car/computer/DME/Etc. knowing there's anythuing going on.

That outgoing wire... any help is appreciated. Thank you!

EDIT: And to further understand, if correct. pin 85 is the ground for the top and bottom pin of the relay? When switched, mechanically or automatically, that ground "connects" the top and bottom prong? That outgoing wire from the switch... that's what's stumping me.

Last edited by Starter986; 09-15-2020 at 02:16 AM.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote