View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 03:36 AM   #29
Rayrevolver

BLUF: Drive them both. Be honest with yourself about what you want in a car. The C5 will never impress people like any year Porsche, of any model.

I owned a 2004 Z06. Without a doubt, a very capable car that does everything very well. In 2009 when I bought it, and I believe still today, you will be hard pressed to buy something "better" for $17k in terms of outright performance.

The 2001-2004 C5Z is also unique in that it came in a Fixed Roof Coupe (FRC). I liked the look and still do. The pickup truck steering wheel is provided at no extra cost.

All you need to do is change the oil and maybe flush the clutch fluid reservoir. Thats it. No drama. The LS6 is bulletproof and your neighborhood shop can work on it. Or the kid next door.

For me and my heavy foot, there was too much power sometimes. The speed came too easily and it really forced you to be on your game. Which is probably true for any modern car with 300+hp but more so for 405hp and 3100lbs to push around.

At the time my daily driver was a hot hatch and I sometimes debated what was more fun in the canyons. Since the performance was so much lower in my hatch you could drive it really hard and have lots of fun.

Thats where my current base Boxster lives. Sure I wish it was an S with a manual. But I can drive it pretty hard and the speeds are reasonable-ish. Its civilized where the Z06 is a raw race car. I knew the Boxster was going to be expensive to maintain but it is what it is.

Can someone spare me some Grey Poupon?

Last edited by Rayrevolver; 09-08-2020 at 03:39 AM.
Rayrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote