Thread: Winter Storage
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 01:25 PM   #14
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Jim, this is your advice for the spring:

"You can do this in one of two ways. First, if a Manual, put the car in Neutral and push it back a few feet. Then, place the gearshift in 5th gear and push the car forward, this will rotate the engine. If you run out of room, say in a garage, go to neutral again and repeat procedure so you're sure one complete revolution of the engine has occured. This will loosen any frozen engine parts (such as rings, chains, etc.), without the extreme torque of the starter motor. This torque is so great that it can tear rings or do other damage. If you have a TipS car, take a large socket on a breaker bar and turn the crankshaft pulley bolt clockwise to rotate the engine. "

I still don't get this! Can I do this on my own, or will I need to enlist the help of the Chicago Bear's front line to push my car?? Can I have the car in 5th or 6th gear and push the car backwards...down the driveway?? Or do I need to really go forwards?

OK, what if I store the car with the battery maintainer (I am not taking the battery out) and lock the car so the alarm is on. In the Spring, if I open the doors with the key (since the fob won't work with that much time past) how do I get the car pushed in gear to get one or two engine revolutions before the alarm turns on, because the car was not started soon enought with the key??

Thanks!
Hi,

You can push the car in 5th or 6th - this gives you the greatest mechanical advantage, to try it in 1st, you'd have to go all Ahhhhnold on it. Without a Timing Belt, you could push the car either way, but forward turns the engine in it's proper direction, not a big deal either way w/ no TB.

If you keep the alarm on all winter (which I don't recommend), you'll be drawing considerable power from the battery and make the Maintainer work alot harder (maybe more than it was intended for, the battery too for that matter. But, so far as the Key Fob is concerned, it's the Car's Alarm, not the Key which goes dormant. You don't need to start the car to reinitialize it, all you need to do is unlock the car with the key, that will wake up the car's Alarm to accept the Key Fob signal. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

PS It should read - First, if a Manual, put the car in Neutral and push it back a few feet. Then, place the gearshift in 5th gear and push the car forward, this will rotate the engine. If you run out of room, say in a garage, go to neutral again, push the car backward, and repeat procedure so you're sure one complete revolution of the engine has occured.

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-24-2006 at 01:28 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote