View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #6
Russdawg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I think we've got some competing interests here. ;-)

Perhaps it's because of the years i spent on superbikes, and drag-racing musclecars, but i don't find the straight- line speed exhilarating any more. So for me, a "cool" car doesn't need to care about how many ricer cars can beat it from stop light to stop light. And since that's not on my list of what makes a car fun to drive, well, then my list might be different from yours. My fun-car list includes a base boxster because it's like driving a go kart, which makes you earn every mph you can gain on a straight by carrying a few more through a corner. To me, watching someone who's been toying around with you in traffic fade in the mirror as you accelerate into an interchange for which they are braking.... well.... THAT'S fun. Same can be said for braking zones. Like the corvette (of any generation) it's easily recognizable, but carries a little more sophistication on the badging.

—-

Ok.... back to your fun-car. Maybe the C5 hits the buttons for ya. I think if I were looking corvette, I'd be more inclined towards an early-to-mid '70's. It seems they're beginning to outgrow the stigma. You should go drive some, and get back to us. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Well I find a lot of fun in being able to experience G’s in all 4 directions. The last 2 directions you probably don’t want to be experiencing G’s, lol!

I find myself smiling when I take my current 330i (being replaced as the slush box is soon to go!) around the 270° on-ramp, pushing the tires to the brink of audibly complaining, and then opening it up on the merger.

But I love working on cars also. Call it being inexperienced or even lazy, but working on German cars, especially in their stupidly compact and over complicated engine bays is not a whole lot of fun. (Seriously though, on the right side of my engine bay I can’t even stick a fist through, but behind the left kidney grill I can nearly see the engine splash guard straight down!) From photos and forum posts, the expansive engine bay of the C5 must be a joy to work in.

I’m mostly overlooking the “Porsche tax” for now on parts and maintenance, because even though American muscle is generally cheap, there seems to be a “Corvette tax” too on certain things!

But thanks a bunch for your input Maytag.
Russdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote