View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #1
Russdawg1

Unsuccessful Boxster S search - What do I miss out on/gain with a C5 Corvette?

Well, it’s in the title. The used Boxster market is horrendous in NorCal. I thought I’d be able to find a good pick sometime this summer. I was wrong.

Whether they had too many problems to be a decent investment, or sold out under my nose, I failed at finding one. Luckily there seems to be a contender from the other side of the Atlantic.

I’ve gone to a bunch of different forums, reading threads from years ago about both and how they compare and differ. Even the E46 M3 gets thrown in the discussion quite often.

But it’s 2020 now, and times have changed, and cars have aged. What do you guys think about the C5 Corvette vs a 986 Boxster S?

Some of the more glaring points that you guys can choose to gloss over or perhaps even nitpick:

C5 - 5.7L V8 350hp/350lbf - 0.94g skidpad
Boxster S - 3.2L F6 250hp/228lbf - 0.92g skidpad

It would seem to me that cost of ownership for the C5 is drastically cheaper than the Boxster, not to mention servicing and modding will be easier and cheaper, since the LS engines are exceptionally plentiful.

The Boxster is obviously going to win in regards to interior quality, and probably just overall prestige but I don’t mind either of those, it’s more of a moot point for me. 2001+ Boxsters have cup holders, but again, moot point.

In regards to seating quality they seem to be well matched, one not being significantly better than the other, and most choose to replace them with something of their own choice and I will do the same.

I plan on getting inside a C5 sometime soon to gauge how much space I have and if the pedals are comfortable for me (both must be manuals!), but I would expect the C5 to have more cabin space, and even more trunk (or just storage space as the Boxster has a frunk!).

From an outside person’s glance, such as mine, it seems the C5 is the better performing car, almost all around, as long as you overlook the cheap interior, which like with most cars, you can change with a bit of time and money. Gas mileage somehow looks like a wash too.

If my info is incorrect, or you have some more pointers, please share!

Thanks all.
Russdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote