Thread: Radiator fan
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2020, 12:22 PM   #12
piper6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I believe you to be correct. I did some more reading and find that at low speed the fan virtually is silent. I had to get down there to hear it running. The high speed... that you can hear. I did find that the passanger side fan on low I could hear... and it sounded 'healthy'. The driver side, in comparison, was maybe half the speed and... from the same vantage point... I couldn't hear it until I got under it. That said...

Just came in from doing some more diagnosing. I removed the four relays. I then jumped each of them.

Passenger side high and low speeds relays. Worked.

Driver side relays? Nothing.

Reinstalled the relays... started the car (cold)... turn on AC.

Passenger side fan high speed on.

Driver side fan. Nothing. Reach under... a few taps... starts spining low speed.

It appears that a new fan is in order... you called it..

Couple more questions...

The passenger side coming on high speed. It should be low speed. Does that sound like a resistor? Should I purchase a low mile used resistor... with the entire harness... plugs... swap it out? Should I replace the entire fan unit?

Likewise the driver side fan. Low mileage used... ~$60? New aftermarket ~$65?

WWPD?

Are you sure the fans run at low speed with the AC on? IDK for sure, but I expected them to run at high speed. Someone please chime in here to confirm.

Also, I've always had better luck with used, low-mileage OE parts than new aftermarket. If I found a low-mile OE fan for $60, I'd definitely go with it over aftermarket.