Thread: Radiator fan
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2020, 07:44 AM   #9
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Connected 12v... ground... fan didn't run. From below gave the fan a few taps. The fan runs.

When I applied the hot wire to each of the two prongs (low speed prong/high speed prong) the fan ran only at what seems to be low speed.

So... I plugged the connector back to the fan... started the car... turned on AC... fan was running but not as strong as the passenger side. Checking the passenger side the fan seemed to be running on high. Car was cold start. It seems that the fan motor must have bound up... even though the blades freely I had spun.

From what I understand the resistor serves the low speed side of the fan... and because the fan is on low should I assume the resistor is good?

Since at the cold start the passenger side fan was running high... should I assume that that resistor is bad and defaulting to the high speed? That wouldn't make sense... but I defer.

Should I, with the car parked, run the engine until it reaches operating temperature... see if the driver side fan comes on? Yesterday I did that and after reaching operating temperature the passenger side high speed kicked in... but not the driver side.

I don't yet want to button back up the wheel shroud until I get this sorted. Are there any other tests that I should be performing? Or, do I button it back up and keep an eye on the driver side fan... and leave the passenger side fan running high?

Any input, direction, or guidance is appreciated. Thank you.