Thread: Radiator fan
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 03:48 PM   #7
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
According to this video, you can get to it by removing the inner wheel well. You won't have to remove the bumper cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsPeDvJXEUs

In this video Burner's high speed was working, so he determined that he had a bad ballast resistor. In your case, if NO speed works after you jump the pins, it could be bad wiring or a connection or it could be the motor. But I'd check the wiring first.

Here's another link that shows you how to access the fans:
Replace Radiator Fan

Another fairly easy test is to see if the fan spins freely.
Thank you, Pipe. That Burner vid is one of the vids I watched and recall my horror at the exactly one minute mark... when he begins strong arming out the unit. The closer arrives at 17:42 when after summing up with, "So that's it. That's the whole process" he hits with, "You put everything back in the way it came out".

While I was testing the relays... jumping... running car to temp... etc. I had a constant mental loop of that video and hoping that wasn't the route I would have to take.

Snuck my hand under... fan spins freely.

Tomorrow morning I'll lift that side... peel back the liner... see if I can't access the electrical connection... to which I'll run 12V... without having to take off a bunch of parts.

Have a nice evening.