Thread: Radiator fan
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 06:23 AM   #1
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Radiator fan

Took a drive to Big Bear last weekend, and the car was running a little hot. I have Torque on a tablet and was monitoring the coolant temperature. It does put the dash gauge to shame. Anyhow... driving up the backside the temperature was reading 230+. When I was on the straights it dropped. The coolant light never came on.

Next day checked the fan operation (car cold, engine running, AC on) and only the passenger side fan came on. OK. So I ran the tests (relays "clicked"... swapped relays) and no driver side fan. Removed all relays and jumped them. The passenger side passed. Driver side... nothing. So I'm leaning towards a failed fan.

Correct me if I'm wrong: Jumping the relays with no fan action reveals a failed fan. Isn't jumping the relays to see if the fan works the same as disconnecting the fan harness and testing at the actual fan?

There are fans for sale on EB, and with the resistor attached. They're running ~$60 shipping included. I found this fan:https://www.carparts.com/cooling-fan-assembly/replacement/rp16090001

With shipping... ~$65.

Assuming I've no more tests to run... do I buy used or the new unit?

If I am buying a unit, new or used, I'd open to purchasing from a forum member same terms.

Thank you for your consideration.