View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #8
husker boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Tire companies have their own brew when it comes to compounds and mixing them can have hazardous results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986 Boxster View Post
I`ve done it many times, Continetal Extreme Contact DW with Michelin pilot super sport, etc.
Interesting these 2 tires were mentioned. I have track experience with the 1st & 2nd iterations of the Conti DW and Mich Super Sports. I had the SS's on my Cayman 1st. They were great on a dry track. I never had the chance to try them in the rain, but experts said they weren't as good as the Conti DW. They did have a propensity to chunk on the outer edges of the front tires. I replaced them with the 1st iteration of the Conti DW. Those were not as sticky in the corners as the SS's were, but they were very good in the rain. I got up to 120mph in the rain on the back straight at COTA. I may have been able to go faster, but I was at max scared at the 120. I also drove home from COTA the yr before being chased by a tornado and got up to speeds of 85mph in a deluge. Two sets of tires, both with different characteristics.

When both companies came out with their next versions (still DW for Conti & 4S for Mich), both took aim at the other's strengths while maintaining their advantage. According to the experts, both companies have achieved their goal. I haven't driven the 4S so I can't comment on it. I did purchase a set of 2nd gen DWs and didn't feel they were much better on a dry track. My guess would be the 4S is still a better dry tire. Mich also addressed the issue of chunking outer edges by changing the compound on the outer edge while using a different compound on the inside.

But getting back on point, there is still enough of a difference between the 2 companies that their tires will perform differently under similar conditions. Once again, extreme conditions, not stop & go, daily driving. The OP hasn't stated how he / she uses their Boxster, but chances are it's not just a daily driver commuter. If you're going to push your Boxster, why have tires with different characteristics that will produce unstable results? Like front tires breaking loose before the rears, or vice versa. There are already plenty of variables in driving at a rapid pace, why introduce more?

I don't have experience with the tire the OP has. Others have mentioned it's not a very good high performance tire. So it would be very problematic to combine it with a good high performance tire. But it's your $$$ and your life. I just want to pass along some experience.

If you're interested in my wet adventures, here they are. It was 3 yrs ago & I'd do some things different now, but it gives you an idea.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 08-11-2020 at 02:58 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote