View Single Post
Old 07-23-2020, 03:16 AM   #5
robstuartuk

Car has done 130k
The problems I think first started after I was driving home along the dual carageway going up a long steep hill that runs for about 3 miles was only doing 70 at the time but I'd say there would be a fair bit of turbo boost output due to the steepness of the hill. Its one of these hills that has about a 20-30% gradient for a long way.
I got a check engine light that came on about halfway up while overtaking.

When I got home I connected my carrista to the ob2 port and ran a test.
There were 2 fault codes. Stupid me didn't copy them down i just cleared them.
The following day was the first time I struggled for a few mins to get her started.

Then I noticed at idle when reving gently the car would backfire. This wasn't there before the CEL light
Also when overtaking and the car dropped to 3rd she would pop and then go. Car would never backfire prior to the day the CEL
I could be being paranoid but I think certainly overtaking there might be a bit of a loss of power in there now.

After i drained the battery cranking yesterday. left the car for 2 hrs I turned the key and she fired instantly.
This morning she started fine also but again tapping the accelerator at idle warm or cold she will pop a little. I know if I start the car daily she will and start fine apart from the issue with the backfire.
If I don't start the car for a few days it struggles to start.

I've connected the carrista back to the ob2 no fault codes are currently registered.
I'm no expert but my guess is the starting problems and the backfire seem related to perhaps a fuel problem?
robstuartuk is offline   Reply With Quote