View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #5
joliver3

I bought my 2008 RS60 Spyder from out of state last summer. I live near Detroit and the car was near Columbus, OH.

Before going to look at it, I emailed some of the Mid-Ohio Region Porsche Club of America officers (contact info on website) to ask about the reputation of the small used car lot selling the car as well as some recommendations for local indy Porsche shops. After test driving the car, I asked the dealer if they'd be willing to take it to any of the recommended shops for a PPI at my expense. There was one shop they didn't want to deal with (I assume some bad dealings between them in the past), but we agreed on another recommended shop. I contacted the shop to make arrangements and gave them my credit card number, the dealer drove the car there the following week and picked it up when complete.

It worked out surprisingly well; the car got a pretty clean bill of health, and I bought it. I paid extra to have the shop remove & replace the oil filter and cut open the take-off and inspect it for metal debris. I didn't go down the bore scoring inspection route. I think I paid about $300 for the inspection.
joliver3 is offline   Reply With Quote