View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 12:11 AM   #30
mr2gokrt

Wow this is over 11 years later, but I'm going to post as a MR2 Spyder owner with a very dear Porsche Boxter owner friend. In fact, I donated to his fundraiser to buy his Boxter. It was the car he longed for and I understood 100%.

A few years after he bought it he organized an event for Boxters and Boxter S's to meet at the Tail of The Dragon, in Tennessee / NC. I joined the event in my MR2 Spyder with 2zz engine upgrade (same Toyota engine as Lotus used for the Elise).

Together - Toyota Mr2 2zz, Boxters, and Boxter-S's, we had a great time on the Dragon.

My point?

Both the Toyota MR2 and the Boxster are fantastic cars. I've driven both. The Boxster is heavier and feels more solid, and has more luggage room. The MR2 only has room for large duffel bags in a compartment behind the seats, and a small area for 1 more duffel bag in the frunk.

The MR2 Spyder was my daily driver from 2002 to 2010. I carried computers, printers, etc. in it for my I.T. business. Where there's a will there's a way. If you love a car enough you make a way. I loved the MR2 that much. My friend loved the Boxster that much. We made our favorite cars work.

The Toyota MR2 is cheaper to own, maintain, and upgrade. Mine is currently getting a Toyota 2gr engine swapped into it, for 285 HP in a 2200 lbs total car. It will 0-60 in about 3.8 secs. If I didn't mind it being loud, I could have 310 HP, but that's not my style. Subtlety is a value.

My friend still has his Boxster and still loves it. And I definitely hope to take another road trip with him. Porsche - there is no substitute! If I had infinite bucks, I'd have a 928 in my "collection" which would include every model of Toyota MR2, the Porsche 928, the Porsche Boxter-S, the Ferrari F40, and the Lamborghini Countach.
mr2gokrt is offline   Reply With Quote