View Single Post
Old 06-10-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
selaliadobor

Pickle with a lost key

So I got a Boxster S, but I'm already in a bit of a situation

The car came with two keys. Both had RFID pills that match the car.

But the ignition cylinder, and door lock cylinder, were from different sets of locks.

So one key could open the door and use the remote but not start the car (pill matches, but key doesn't match ignition cylinder)

The other key could only start the car (valet key and doesn't match door lock)

I was driving down the road when I got a low oil pressure warning, it's a long story for another post, but the car ended up getting towed to a shop.

But somewhere between the place it broke down, and the place it was dropped off, the key that starts the car went missing

-
Now I'm churning through options here:
  • One is to replace the ECU, CLU, locks, all with a new replacement. That'll cost about $1000 dollars. Which is really $1,000 I'd rather spend elsewhere but more importantly, it really doesn't solve the issue of only having one key. All the ones I found only come with a single key. If it was 1,000$ to fix this and get a spare I might be more open to it, but it feels like a colossal waste otherwise.

• Another is to replace the ignition cylinder lock and door lock only, then transfer my RFID pill into the key that comes with those.

Is this possible? The ECU Immobilizer combo is expensive and hard to come by since the ECU needs to match my 3.2 Manual down to the transmission type.

I see a ton of sets of just door lock, ignition cylinder, and a key (no electronics), should that have the same result as option 1 assuming the existing boxes are in good condition?

• The third option that I'm thinking about is getting rid of the ignition cylinder completely and relying on the door lock for security...

The idea is I would stick the RFID pill in the dash, and wire up a button directly to where the ignition switch is.

Besides the obvious security drawbacks, would this work? I'm partial to this solution because I can order a switch today and have it tomorrow and wire it up.

That will let me get the car on the road and not have to explain to a shop why I saddled them with an immovable car for any longer than I have to...

Also from what I understand, getting spare keys cut for the door is easy, it's the RFID pill that ends up making things complicated

Am I crazy here or is the 3rd option workable, at least temporarily?

Last edited by selaliadobor; 06-10-2020 at 09:12 AM.
selaliadobor is offline   Reply With Quote